SERVICES FOR GRADES 1-12
Services for Grades 1-12
Empowering Children with the tools they need to become confident, lifelong learners.
When a student begins at Laughlin Children’s Center, an academic assessment is completed by an academic diagnostician in coordination with a licensed psychologist. These clinicians determine the current level of development, as well as specific strengths and weaknesses. This information is used to address classroom performance and develop an instructional tutoring plan with specific goals. The student then begins weekly one-to-one instruction with the tutor who specializes in their areas of need.
- Offers individualized one-to-one instruction in the areas of reading, written language, math, and/or executive functioning with focuses on organization, test-taking, and time management
- Is delivered by a Pennsylvania Department of Education certified tutor either in person at the center or virtually
Screenings and evaluations are available at the Center by appointment.
Laughlin Children’s Center offers evaluations of students’ academic achievement. Test results and recommendations from these evaluations are shared with parents in a conference as well as in a written report.
Academic Evaluations at Laughlin Children’s Center:
- Are conducted by experienced academic diagnosticians in order to gain insight into student’s academic self-image and to measure skill levels in the core subjects of reading, math, and written language; the evaluation also includes a study skills component for students in grades 5 and above
- May include a psycho-educational assessment in addition to the academic assessment; this assessment is administered by a licensed psychologist in separate visit
- Offer a complete picture of the child as a learner, identifying learning strengths and weaknesses, as well as cognitive ability and academic achievement which are helpful for educational planning
- Provide a written report and parent conference to review tests administered, student performance, specific strengths and weaknesses, and recommendations
For school-aged children, learning is a vital part of their every day lives. For this reason, Laughlin Children’s Center makes academic instruction available year-round, leading not only to better understanding, but also to greater self-confidence and motivation.
Laughlin Children’s Center Individualized Instruction:
- Uses evaluations before instruction begins to identify the goals of instruction
- Employs only certified teachers who specialize thier instruction in order to address student’s needs in areas of reading, math, written language, and study and organizational skills
- Is geared to each child’s instructional level (level at which the student can experience success) with level of difficulty raised gradually because repeated success builds positive academic self-image
- Includes post-testing which assesses improvement
- Provides progress reports that outline what has been taught and specific areas of continued need
How can a I start getting tutoring services for my child?
- Step 1: Comprehensive Evaluation – Schedule an evaluation with the Laughlin Children’s Center. In some cases, the Laughlin Center can accept evaluations from other sources such as your child’s school district or another institution.
- Step 2: Parent/Evaluator Meeting – The evaluator shares the results of the evaluation with the parents and makes recommendations based on the student’s performance and specific strengths and weaknesses.
- Step 3: Tutor Match – The child is matched with one of the Laughlin Center’s tutors based on the child’s specific needs and their personality.